These are for guidance and educational purposes only.
Be sure to check out Guilds by State.
- Review requirements for forming a nonprofit trade organization in your state
- Review Articles of Incorporation (sample attached) and file to form state nonprofit organization
- Determine whether you will file for IRS 501(c)(6) status and file appropriate paperwork as necessary. Please review the following to help in your determination:
- Apply for a Federal Employer Identification Number (http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Apply-for-an-Employer-Identification-Number-%28EIN%29-Online)
- Appoint interim Board to adopt Bylaws (sample attached)
- Hold first meeting and vote for board members and officers
- Appoint committees
- Open bank account
- Inform ACSA!